About Us > Our Achievements
Our achievements to date:
- Increased landfill diversion rate of waste carpet from 2% to 42% in 10 years.
- Since Carpet Recycling UK was established in 2008, we have helped to divert over 900,000 tonnes of carpet waste from landfill to recycling or energy recovery. This is equivalent to 56,484 football pitches.
- Expanded our specialist carpet re-use, recycling and energy recovery outlets from 6 to 22.
- Landfill diversion of carpets to reuse, recycling and energy recovery increased from 35% in 2016 to 42% in 2017 showing strong progress towards our goal of 60% by 2020.
- Total tonnage diverted was 168,000 tonnes an increase of 26,000 tonnes on 2016, with energy recovery of 124,000 tonnes and reuse/recycling of 42,000 tonnes.
- Main growth areas in 2017 were in equestrian surface materials, carpet tile reuse, export of carpets for cement kiln fuels to replace fossil fuels, and local incineration of MSW (Municipal Solid Wastes).
- Core Funder manufacturing and distribution members continue to grow and provide outstanding support to CRUK as well as to their customers. These Core Funders are industry leaders in developing voluntary producer responsibility for carpets throughout their lifecycle.
- Retailers and flooring contractor members have grown as more companies recognise the cost savings and sustainability impacts for their businesses. They appreciate the help given by our Core Funders to improve their results in many cases saving thousands of pounds per year.
- Awareness and interest in recycling carpet waste continues to grow with an increase of 28% in enquiries over the phone, online and at events to 640 in 2017 compared to the previous year. Enquiries are wide-ranging, and our social media presence has enhanced this growth and the leads generated from them.
To download the achievements document, go to: 2017 Achievements (.pdf 1.19Mb)
The Carpet Recycling UK conference, exhibition and awards were held in June and celebrated the achievements of members who have demonstrated innovation, commitment and best practice in the sector.
Winners of the Carpet Recycling UK 2017 member awards were:
- Flooring contractor Designer Contracts Ltd won the Take Back Partner of the Year award for the third year running.
- Mark Purnell of Flooring contractor Fantasy Flooring was named Recycling Champion.
- Greenstream Flooring was a double winner, scooping Reuse Member of the Year and the 2017 award for Outstanding Achievement.
- Recycling member Emerald Trading Waste Solutions won the Best Newcomer award.
- Recycler of the Year went to recycling member James Robinson Fibres.
- The award for Longstanding Support went to one of our core funders, Headlam Group.
For photos, go to www.carpetrecyclinguk.com/awards.php
For our achievements archive go to: Achievements & Targets