About Us > Our Achievements
Our achievements to date:
- Increased landfill diversion rate of waste carpet from 2% to 35% in 9 years.
- Since Carpet Recycling UK was established in 2008, we have helped to divert 709,000 tonnes of carpet waste from landfill to recycling or energy recovery. This is equivalent to 43,846 football pitches.
- Expanded our specialist carpet re-use, recycling and energy recovery outlets from 6 to 20.
- Landfill diversion for carpets in the UK for 2016 was 142,000 tonnes, an increase of 14% compared to 2015 and a total diversion rate of 35%.
- Energy recovery accounted for 109,000 tonnes, an increase of 35% compared to 2015 as the use of carpets as a renewable fuel source in cement kilns continues to grow. A 50% increase in capacity for municipal energy-from-waste facilities over the past two years which has contributed to this growth.
- Interest in recycling carpets is strong with over 500 enquiries handled by the CRUK team in 2016.
- Innovation in carpet recycling continues with several companies developing processes to recover valuable fibres such as polypropylene and wool which are recycled into a diverse range of new products including equestrian surfaces, textile felts and plastics.
- This year members Anglo Recycling launched their Growfelt range of horticultural growing media and Emerald Trading launched their Fibre It range of equestrian surface solutions.
- CoreFunder manufacturing and distribution members have continued to provide outstanding support to CRUK and their customers who want to make their businesses more sustainable. These Core Funders lead the industry in demonstrating extended producer responsibility for carpet throughout its lifecycle.
- Membership reached a record high with 97 members from across the supply chain, including manufacturers, raw material suppliers, recyclers, retailers and equipment suppliers. Particularly, increased interest from retailers and contractors to recycle carpet wastes and reduce their costs compared to landfill has stimulated growth in membership.
- The Carpet Recycling UK conference, exhibition and awards were held in June and celebrated the achievements of members who have demonstrated innovation, commitment and best practice in the sector.
For our achievements archive go to: Achievements & Targets